Laboratory Animal Care Course
A correspondence course for everyone working with small animals to include six lessons as follows:
- Introduction to laboratory animals:
A brief history of animals used in research. Outline of the major animal physiological systems. Bird’s-eye view of nutrition. Preview of disease in an animal colony.
- Management of laboratory animals:
Life cycle data: genetics, strains, breeding and mating. Principles of animal health, disease and control of disease. Environmental requirements, regulations and policies. Organizations and the role of Laboratory Animal Care Technicians.
- Management of Laboratory Animals: Rodents & Rabbits.
History, behavior, handling, housing and nutrition information for the following animals: Mouse, Rat, Guinea Pig, Hamster, Gerbil, Rabbit.
- Management of Laboratory Animals: Intermediate Size.
History, behavior, handling, housing and nutrition information for the following animals: Dogs, Cats, Ferrets, Non-Human Primates, Swine.
- Management of Laboratory Animals: Hoofed Stock & Other, Including Exotics.
History, behavior, handling, housing and nutrition information for the following animals: Hoofed Stock (Sheep, Goats, Cattle & Horses), Reptiles, Amphibians, Fish, Birds, Others (Wild Rodents, Armadillo, Opossum, Invertebrates).
- Facilities, Personnel & Environmental Management.
Common environmental matters. Typical caging, equipment and materials. Personnel safety issues and concerns. Sanitation categories and factors to consider for effective and safe use of products.
As an enrollee you will receive:
- The six lessons mentioned and a three-ring vinyl notebook for filing all materials.
- A quiz included in each lesson to be graded by your supervisor.
- A certificate of completion upon successfully completing the course.
Total cost of each enrollment is $50.00.
To complete this course with a printed binder, click here for the order form. Payment by check only.
To complete this course online, go to www.pmi-lacc.com for an interactive experience. Payment by credit card only.
Either way, you work at your own pace.